Rawlings Assisted In Yendi Arrest – Okudzeto Ablakwah
2010-04-12 22:39:33This article has been read 967 times.
A Deputy Minister of Information, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwah has disclosed that former President Jerry Rawlings, as well as other residents in Yendi and its environs, assisted in the police investigations that led to the swoop in Yendi last Saturday.
According to him, all manner of people and peace lovers generally have been talking and making claims.
He told Peace FM that, he was very sure that very soon, the security agencies will commend all peace loving Ghanaians who contributed in any measure to the arrest of suspects.
The former President, Jerry Rawlings some years back during the erstwhile New Patriotic Party (NPP) regime, made a claim that he had video tapes and evidence of the killers of the Ya Na.
But Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwah reiterated that he could not confirm as to what the informants, including ex-President Rawlings, provided by way of assistance, whether tapes, pictures or whatever.
“I am not sure about any tape but all manner of persons were assisting the security agencies,” he added.
Speaking in an interview with Kwami Sefa-Kayi host of the “Kokrokoo” programme, on Peace FM, Mr Okudzeto said people wanted the government to be specific about its investigations, hence the unnecessary pressure from all angles, to find the perpetrators.
“It was absolutely unnecessary”, he stated.
He said the government had to be circumspect, in order not to open its mouth too wide, as that could make the people involved disappear.
“You don’t do that as a responsible government,” he said, adding that as a government, they had to stick to the game plan and make sure they strike only when they found something concrete, otherwise they would go about picking up some innocent people.
“You don’t do this in a week or overnight,” he stated.
Government sanctioned the security agencies who had been operating in Yendi, ostensibly to pick up suspected people in connection with the murder of Ya Na Yakubu Andani.
Forty one (41) people were picked up in a dawn swoop in Yendi last Saturday for questioning; thirty three(33) were given self cognizance bail while, six(6), including some of the leaders of the Abudu Royal family in the Dagbon Chieftaincy dispute were sent to Accra.
They are to assist in further investigations into the bizarre murder that occurred on March 27, 2002.
Meanwhile,the six(6), whose identity the police refused to disclose have been arraigned before the Tamale High Court.
Also, nine suspects have been remanded in police custody in connection with the murder of the overlord of the Dagbon Traditional Area, Ya-Na Yakubu Andani II.
They were arraigned before a district Magistrate court in Accra on Monday April 12.