2008-12-16 19:47:35This article has been read 669 times.
The Ministry of the Interior has renewed the curfew imposed on Bawku Municipality and Gushiegu Township and their immediate environs for another week with effect from Monday, December 15. A statement signed by the Minister, Dr. Kwame Addo-Kufuor, said the action was on the advice of the Upper East and Northern Regional Security Councils (REGSECs).
The curfew hours remain unchanged at midnight to 0400 hours for Bawku and those of the Gushiegu township have been relaxed to midnight to 0400 hours.
The statement said though calm had been restored to the affected areas, government deemed it necessary to re-impose the curfew to enable the security agencies to monitor the situation in the aftermath of the December 7, elections and the forthcoming December 28 presidential run-off.
The government advised the residents not to do anything to breach the peace that they were enjoying now.
It also commended the chiefs, opinion leaders and the people of the areas for sustaining the peace in their respective areas. Meanwhile, Government has reiterated that the ban on all persons in the Bawku Municipal Area, Zabugu, Binduri, Pusiga and Zoosi townships and their environs and Gushiegu township and its environs from carrying arms, ammunitions or any offensive weapon still remained in force, and any person found with any arms or ammunition would be arrested and prosecuted.