2008-01-04 17:50:39This article has been read 745 times.
Five people have so far died and many others injured in the violence that erupted in Bawku.
Many houses and shops in the town and neighbouring communities have been burnt and sporadic gun shots are heard in the Township
The Upper East Regional Minister Alhassan Samari in the company of the Regional Police Commander Ofosu Mensah–Gyeabour have pronounced curfew to start at 18 .00hr to 6.00 and this would continue till further notice.
During a visit to the Mamprusi Regent Alhaji Ibrahim Adam Zangbeo and his elders, Mr Samari appealed to them to talk to their people to exercise restraint and to stop the fighting and burning.
Alhaji Zangbeo and his elders made a passionate and urgent appeal to the Regional Minister and the Police Commander to do something to stop the fight even before the curfew started.
They said even though they would appeal to their people to stop they could not do much about the other faction and expressed fears that most parts of Bawku Township might be burnt down.
Earlier on Tuesday military personnel from the Northern Command were deplored to Bawku Township to help to restore peace.
Meanwhile all efforts to meet the Bawku Naba at his palace so far have failed as he was said to be absent from his palace.
Accompanying the Regional Minister were Mr Ephraim Oko Brakatu, Northern Regional Police Commander and Lieutenant Col. Ivan Aryeetey, Commander of Air Borne Force, Tamale.
Communities most affected included Sambon-Gere, Masima, and the Animal market within Bawku.