Should Dagbon be divided to create the Eastern Corridor Region?
Yes
No
Only if Yendi is Capital City
view results

Controversy Rages Over Ya-Na’s Burial


2005-04-08 13:14:42
This article has been read 799 times.

CONTROVERSY is raging over the proposed burial of the late Overlord of Dagbon, Ya-Na Yakubu Andani, next Monday.

While Manhyia Palace insists that there has not been any change in the plan to bury the late King, reports from Tamale seem to suggest the opposite.

The private secretary of Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, the Asantehene, told the Graphic in an interview that “since the date for the burial was settled over the weekend, Otumfuo, who is the Chairman of the three-member Committee of Eminent Chiefs appointed to mediate in the conflict, has not received any contrary views from the area”.

However, on-the-spot report from Dagbon indicates that while the Andanis claim that the Ya-Na could not be buried without the subsequent installation of a regent, the Abudus insist that the former Ya-Na Mahammadu Abdulai’s eldest son would become the regent and will perform his father’s funeral before that of the Ya-Na Yakubu Andani was performed.

The tussle over the issue of the regency precipitated a meeting at the palace of the Kumbungu Na.

Speaking to the press after the meeting of the chiefs and elders of Kumbungu, the Kumbungu Na, Iddrisu Abu, stated that until the matter of the regency was sorted out, the proposed burial on Monday might have to be postponed, since it would run counter to Dagbon custom and practices.

The Kumbungu Na wondered how they could depart from the time-tested tradition to bury a Ya-Na without arrangement to install his eldest son as the regent.

In a related development, the Northern Regional Security Council (REGSEC) has called for the suspension of all radio discussions on the entombment of the late King of Dagbon, Ya-Na Yakubu Andani II, in the Tamale metropolis.

It has also urged the management of the four FM stations in the area to put their phone-in segment on the burial of the King on hold since that programme contributes to the heightening of tension in the metropolis.

According to the Northern Regional Minister, Alhaji Boniface Abubakar Saddiq, the suspension of the phone-in programme had become necessary following the announcement of the burial of the Ya-Na next week Monday.

The minister who is also the chairman of REGSEC, said that since the burial plans were made public, there, had been heated discussions on the matter, culminating in phone-ins by listeners whose input sometimes generated into insults and name callings.

The minister also entreated the media in general to be circumspect in their reportage and discussions on the Dagbon crisis, since it had become evident that some of them were not well informed on the issue.

source: graphic

Latest News
Vitting SHS students ‘sleeping under trees’


Abudus withdraw from Dagbon peace talks again


Tamale residents defend Mayor as impeachment agitation gathers momentum


Two killed in ‘attack’ on Fulanis at Yendi


Tamale Mayor faces impeachment over ‘stinking’ contracts, disrespect


'Mahama Camboo' collapsing taxi business


‘Yellow-Yellow’, the ‘Uber’ of Tamale pushing taxi drivers out of busine


Buipe SHS matron arrested for stealing free SHS food


NPP youth invade police station, free suspects in Karaga


NPP youth chase DCE out of his residence


back January 2018 forward
S
MTWTF
S
123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031
-
6

currently online

2206198

visitors since Jan. 2006
Last updated: