Should Dagbon be divided to create the Eastern Corridor Region?
Yes
No
Only if Yendi is Capital City
view results

East Gonja District Hit With Inadequate Qualified Teachers


2007-02-12 23:26:25
This article has been read 739 times.

ONLY 360 teachers representing 30% of the total of 1,197 teachers at the basic level in the East Gonja district of the Northern region are qualified. The remaining 70% are untrained.

Of the total figure, 880 of the teachers are on government pay roll while 317 are teaching assistants under the National Youth Employment Programme.

Mr. Edward N. Gayuoni, the District Director of Education, who disclosed this while briefing chairmen of School Management Committees and Parent-Teacher Associations on the state of education at a day’s sensitisation workshop, emphasised that a large chunk of teachers in the rural areas are untrained and that this compromises quality education and serves as a disincentive to parents to send their children to school.

The Education Director indicated that though the introduction of the capitation grant had led to increased enrolment of pupils at the basic schools, very few teachers were available to teach them.

According to him, the lack of adequate trained teachers was a source of worry to the Education Directorate.

Alhaji Shehu Kadri, the District Co-ordinating Director, announced that the East Gonja District Assembly had made education a priority and that it would support the needy but brilliant students.

According to him the Assembly is required to provide educational infrastructure like classroom blocks, libraries, teachers’ accommodation, ICT centre as well as incentives in the form of awards to teachers.

Alhaji Kadri disclosed that the Assembly intends to increase budgetary support in the area of teacher development orientation and refresher courses in its focus on quality delivery and commitment of teachers to their work to improve upon the district’s performance at the BECE.

He said the Assembly would provide all JSS with permanent classroom blocks, sustain and improve upon enrolment of girls as well as encourage the Ghana Education Service (GES) to identify and register all children with special needs.

The District training officer, Mr. Mohammed Jakpa said the poor performance of pupils in the BECE in 2003/04 and 2005/6 had brought about the District Assembly/GES partnership for support and called on PTA/SMC chairmen to adopt strategies to influence quality education in the district.

source: Chronicle

Latest News
Vitting SHS students ‘sleeping under trees’


Abudus withdraw from Dagbon peace talks again


Tamale residents defend Mayor as impeachment agitation gathers momentum


Two killed in ‘attack’ on Fulanis at Yendi


Tamale Mayor faces impeachment over ‘stinking’ contracts, disrespect


'Mahama Camboo' collapsing taxi business


‘Yellow-Yellow’, the ‘Uber’ of Tamale pushing taxi drivers out of busine


Buipe SHS matron arrested for stealing free SHS food


NPP youth invade police station, free suspects in Karaga


NPP youth chase DCE out of his residence


back January 2018 forward
S
MTWTF
S
123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031
-
15

currently online

2205605

visitors since Jan. 2006
Last updated: