The Dagbon Road Map
2006-09-11 21:45:59This article has been read 1346 times.IN PURSUANCE of our efforts to find a durable solution to the rather prostrated chieftaincy dispute in Dagbon, we scheduled a meeting in Kumasi on Wednesday and Thursday 29th and 30th March 2006 respectively. It was well attended by accreted representatives of the Royal Andani and Abudu families including their core members. It is heart-warning to note that remarkable progress was made during the meeting. The meeting noted the following;
- Cognizance of the decision of the Supreme Court to the effort that late Ya-Na Mahamadu should be regarded as a former Ya-Na and that his sons be regarded as sons of Ya-Na and that they do qualify to contest for the Gate Skins of Mion, Karaga and Savelugu, which decision the Eminent Kings and all the parties accepted.
- The Supreme Court decided further that only occupants of the skins of Mion, Karaga and Savelugu can aspire to and occupy the Namship.
- The report of the Reconciliation Committee established to give effect to the Supreme Court judgment and the agreements and undertakings agreed to by all the parties who were signatories to that agreement.
- The fact that Naa Mahamadu died when he was no longer in office as Ya-Na
- The unfortunate incidents of March 2002 leading to the death of Ya-Na Yakubu Andani and some of his followers and the need to accord him burial in accordance with Dagbon customs and tradition
- The need for equity, justices and fairness in finding a solution to the Dagbon conflict.
Whereof the Eminent Kings Committee with the full and active participation, and concurrence of both families hereby decides as follows:
- The installation of the regent of Ya-Na Yakubu Andani takes precedence over the installation of the Naa Mahamadu Abudulai’s regent since Naa Yakubu died in office and Dagbon custom did not contemplate a situation where there would be two sitting Ya-Nas or regents at the same time.
- A Council of Elders comprising three representatives each from the Andani and Abudu families shall be constituted immediately to act in concept with the Kuga-Naa and the regent of Naa Yakubu Andani to handle all tradition arrangements from the date of burial of Naa Yakubu Andain performance of funeral rites of both late Ya-Nas to the installation of a Ya-Na.
- Council of Elders shall comprise the following persons:
- For the Andani family, Sung Lana Abdulai Mahama Kunkon, Lana Fuseini Ziblim and the Kpan-Naa M.B.Bawah
- The Mion Lana shall be the leader of the Abudu family on the Council of Elders and shall consult with others members of the family to submit two additional names to the Committee of Eminent Kings.
The names of the Members of the Council of Elders from the Abudu family shall be submitted by the Mion Lana to the Kuga-Naa on or before Saturday 1st April 2006, and notified to each of the Eminent Kings as soon as possible.
- The burial of Naa Yakubu Andani should take place on 10th April 2006, with the consultation and active participation of the Council of Elders, and his regent appointed shortly thereafter in accordance with Dagbon customs and traditions.
- The Kuga-Naa is enjoined to act as father of all, to be impartial and to ensure the full participation of the Abudu family in all matters relating to the burial of Naa Yakubu Andani and the management of the Dagbon state.
- The powers of the regent shall be limited because of the peculiar circumstances in Dagbon today. In this context, the Regent shall not have powers to appoint any chiefs or alienate any lands or other resources belonging to the Dagbon state.
- Without prejudice to the clause above, “the regent with the concurrence of the Kuga Naa and the Council of Elders shall appoint chiefs to vacant skins whose participation will be crucial to the performance of the funeral rights of Naa Mahamadu and Naa Yakubu Andani, and to assign the regent of Naa Mahamadu to a skins after the performance of the funeral of his father.
- The burial of Naa Yakubu Andani shall be performance in the royal mausoleum. All others purposes connected to his shall be performed at the temporary palace.
- There can only be one in Dagbon Kingdom. The temporary palace was constructed following the unfortunate incidents of 2002. In this connection, the old Gbewaa palace should remain free of occupation or any activity until a date is set for the performance of the funeral rites Naa Mahama Abdulai. J. After the burial of Naa Yakubu Andani, both sides shall meet again with the Committee of Eminent Kings to work out a programme for the funeral rights of Naa Mahama and Naa Yakubu Andani. Naa Mahamadu died before Naa Yakubu Andani, his funeral shall be performed first.
- The Eminent Kings shall agree upon a time frame with all the parties within which the respective funerals of the late Yaa-Nas shall be performed. The eminent Kings will continue to engage with the parties on the way forward until a New Ya-Naa is enskinned.
- All the parties pledged to abide by this roadmap to peace and to encourage their supporters to continue to keep the peace.
The agreements reached hereunder do not represent a victory to any side. The parties are urged to continue in the spirit of accommodation, compromise and oneness that constitute the foundation for this agreement, and to avoid celebration or acts that depict a victory or loss on any side.